Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Quick Teriyaki Chicken Stir-Fry


Hi Guys :)
If you’re like me then you’re always scrounging for new, easy, and healthy dinner recipes! Dinner is one of those things that happens EVERY. SINGLE. DAY!! There are no breaks when it comes to serving your family good food. The truth is that dinner is so much more than food; it’s a time when everyone is nourished physically and emotionally. When my husband and I eat dinner together, it’s our time to connect after a long day and share whatever funny (or not so funny!!) things happened that day.
I remember coming home from school each day and asking my mother what’s for dinner. To me, it was a standard question. No malice intended. I had a long grueling day of cliques, teachers, and quizzes, and now I wanted to hear about the one stable and good thing that was coming my way- a hearty dinner.
Now that I’m wearing the apron, I could appreciate how much pressure that simple question could create! I mean if dinner is not prepared or not a family favorite then this question could bring on serious tension. However, on days where a delectable dinner is warming in the oven and ready to eat, the standard dinner questions are music to my ears.
So friends, let me share with you a dinner recipe that is quick (it’s in the name), healthy, and really good!
Just some tidbits: This recipe was first introduced to me by my one and only sister J. I then discovered that it’s written up in the Bais Yaakov cookbook. I basically used their measurements and wording to write-up the recipe, with some changes. If I want to serve more people than 2-3 with this recipe, I just add another pound of chicken without changing any other measurements. Also, click here to read about how you could cut your prep time in half by prepping and freezing your chicken in advance.


Now all there is left to say is Bitaovon (Hebrew: Hearty appetite)!

Quick Teriyaki Chicken Stir-Fry

Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yields: 2-3 servings

Ingredients:
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
Salt
Pepper
¼ cup Italian dressing (low fat works fine, too)
1 1/3 cup water
¼ cup teriyaki sauce
½ teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups frozen veggies
1 ½ cups rice, orzo, or couscous

Directions:
1.       Season chicken with salt and pepper
2.       Heat Italian dressing in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to skillet and cook until no longer pink, around 7 minutes.
3.       Stir in the water, teriyaki sauce, and garlic powder. Bring to boil. Then fold in the frozen veggies and rice. Cover and cook over low heat for around 10 minutes or until rice is tender. Make sure to stir frequently throughout cooking time to ensure that rice and veggies get a chance to soak liquids. 
4.       Remove from heat. Fluff with fork…and enjoy! 

1 comment:

  1. It's such a quick supper recipe. And kid friendly without the veggies.

    ReplyDelete